12 Dec 2008

Home (PSN)

I was just checking out Home, and to put it mildly, I was not impressed:
  • I was trying for about 15 minutes to get past the start screen, getting all types of connection errors, then suddenly... one connection attempt worked, as a "casual user" I would have given up after the first four or five errors (which do have intuitive names like "C931").
  • I tried for 10 minutes to create a character which doesn't look like shit and failed.
  • Downloads and long loading times between sections totally kills the "experience".
  • Everything basically looks and feels like it has been designed by yuppie marketeers stuck in the 90's.
I doubt I will ever return. Even if Home was "the cool shit", the long startup time kills every impulse to even launch that thing.

I don't know... I refuse to believe that Sony is driven by marketing peeps who thought that Second-Life is the next-big-thing during its short media-hype. I just don't "get" it. But who knows, I wasn't "getting" the Wii either, and look how that turned out (yeah, who am I kidding, it's more likely that Home will turn into a wasteland and Sony will let it die a quiet and slow death in a few months). Hmm... wasteland... time to return to Fallout3 :)

3 comments:

Ignacio said...

Hi floh,

Do you know where I can find the original Nebula1 sdk installer?

Thank you and sorry for the offtopic.

Floh said...

Sourceforge should have the old download packages, although they no longer seem to be accessible from the download page. I've been googling a bit and found the following: http://freshmeat.net/projects/thenebuladevice/

There's a link to Sourceforge on that page which points to an N1 version from 2001. Maybe you can find older packages with some more effort...

Ignacio said...

I've finally found both the sources and the sdk installer:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/nebuladevice/nebula-src-2001-09-30.zip

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/nebuladevice/nebula-2001-09-30.exe

Thank you very much Floh, and happy new year by the way!